All of us appreciate beauty in our own right, but because “beauty is in the eyes of the beholder” we all see it differently. The thing is, although we want it to look pretty to our own eyes, you also consider what most people think of it and how it will affect the resale value.
You only need a designer if:
- You are too lazy to do it yourself. Designing is not as easy as you think unless you have a lot of experience, it is going to be hard work.
- You don’t have the time. Time is money, if you are doing this yourself, you need to spend time on it, a lot of time. And if you are not an expert on this, you could potentially spend 20 times the amount with a result that you will not be happy with.
- You think you might make a costly mistake. There are so many things that could go wrong if you made a wrong decision, and more often than not, it will be costly.
- You think you could miss the best solution. There is a possibility to miss-out on design opportunities you failed to see because you do not have the expertise. To me, this is the worst. After paying a good amount of money on expensive finishes, investing a good amount of time in the shops and the Internet. Later realising that you could have done a better.
You are unsure of the resale value. As a result of the decisions you have made, the resale value of your home might have adverse effects.
- You are not technically inclined. You do not know all the types of hinges, and drawer guides, special hardware, and all the pros and cons of going for one instead of the other.
- You do not have a good eye for design. You are aware of all the different finishes, upholstery, paint quality, and pros and cons whilst keeping in mind the different price brackets.